Monday, July 14, 2008

Wild China


Wild China is a six-part BBC documentary on the people, wildlife and history of China. Here in Canada, the series is being shown on CBC's The Nature of Things, and is narrated by David Suzuki.

Apparently, the biggest problem the producers had was trying to find wildlife to film. But over 16 months and many miles, they succeeded in putting together a fascinating series. Highly recommended.

Of course, it's the Olympics that made the entire production possible -- the BBC was given unprecedented access to remote areas within China. And we can also thank the upcoming Games for the recent Chinese government ban on selling dog meat in restaurants.

7 comments:

NuclearToast said...

Here's hoping that some of the change spurred by the Olympics continues once they're over.

Jan said...

I do hope the Olympics has ongoing good effects on China.

Lynn Sinclair said...

Although I'm usually pretty optimistic, I don't hold out much hope for any massive, ongoing changes to the Chinese diet.

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget a trip to Ghana, West Africa I took many years ago.

Needless to say, I came home from that trip about 15 pounds lighter -- after seeing all the "black dog" meat there that was on sale for human consumption in the outdoor food markets.

Between wild dog meat being sold by the pound, and all the swarms of flies that were clung to the other foods on sale there, all I did on that trip was "upchuck" the entire time.

But boy...did I look great in my jeans on the flight home. (Skinny beyond belief!)

Lynn Sinclair said...

Were the dogs still alive, Georgie? Must've broken your heart to walk through the food markets.

Fitting into our jeans with as little tug and pull as possible is always great, though I'm not sure I could go the starvation route to get there.

Anonymous said...

No, they weren't alive but still in their natural state, waiting to be prepped for sale.

Don't want to go any further on this though. (I'm actually grossing myself out just by typing this.) Nevertheless, you'd be surprised at what is actually eaten in some countries. Even some rural parts of western European countries as well.

Lynn Sinclair said...

People of other countries might be just as grossed out by our food choices as we are of theirs.