Friday, July 9, 2010

Early Morning Ant Activity

AntsHonestly, just because I wrote about ants here and here, I don't really have a special interest in them -- they just seem to be making an appearance more often (though, thankfully, not inside my home).

For the past few days, around 6:30 in the morning, thousands of ants have been exiting their nest under my front walkway (click on the photo for a creepy close up). They race around, seemingly without any purpose other than to get a bit of fresh air before the heat of the day sets in. By 8:30 a.m., the ants have returned underground. But how far underground do they go? Check out this plaster cast of an ant colony in Wikipedia. Anyway, it looks like my ants have done some major excavating, and I wouldn't be surprised if the walkway begins to sink -- I'll have to sweep in some sand this summer before my interlock begins to heave.

4 comments:

NuclearToast said...

I'm sure they're up to no good... things with six legs usually are.

Lynn Sinclair said...

I imagine that, with six legs, it's so much easier to get into trouble.

georgie said...

Talk about master builders into the depths. Wow. Too bad BP couldn't use their talents in the deep waters of the Gulf to stop the oil spill.

Lynn Sinclair said...

Perhaps BP should send down a squadron of ants to do the job.